Monday, September 10, 2012

Elder Daniel Ian Limb

México México City South Mission

Av. Progreso 106, 3º Piso

Barrio Santa Catarina, Coyoacán

04010 México, Distrito Federal

Mexico


Hello to everyone, from Mexico! It is so different here than the usa, im trying hard to learn spanish, but it is still difficult. the address posted above is the mission office, you can use that address for basically my entire mission. This week has been crazy, crazy fun, and crazy hard. i have never done something like this before in my life, but i know that heavenly father is there for me to help me, ive felt stressed, but my companion told me to not worry so much, that my spanish will progress with time and that eventually I will learn it. Oh, a little bit about my companion, his name is Elder Beatty, he is from Lehi, Utah. He will be training me for the first 12 weeks, the church has a program for new missionaries to do, basically it is where we get more time to study and stuff. Want to know something cool? We already had our first baptism! The missionaries before us were teaching him his name is johan, but we finished the teaching and got to watch him get baptized by his uncle. Another awesome thing

Another awesome thing, we already have 5 investigators with a baptisimal date, and 4 of them showed up at the chapel yesterday, it was such an awesome experience. The name of my area is Nativitas, it´s not exactly in the downtown area of Mexico City, but it`s still huge. there are literally like 1 million people in this area, so many people to teach and contact. I`m starting to feel like I belong here, because this is where I was called to go. But right now, we have a mom and two kids who we are teaching, their names are Yessica(the mom) Carlos(son) y melanie(daughter) they are pretty much awesome investigators, they accepted all of the commandments and were at church yesterday, I`ve only taught them two times, but already I feel a special connection towards them, because that is why I`m here. The people here are so awesome, they are some of the nicest people I have ever met, they always are willing to listen, and a lot of them are interested in the gospel.

How are things going at home? Keep me updated on how work is going for you and dad, and how school is going for everyone else. It is so different here, I remember the first time i saw mexico city from the plane, it was huge! It was like a sea of buildings, there is so many different things that I wish i could have time to tell you about, but I`ll try my best. One thing that is different is everyone pretty much walks in the streets, so it`s a little different, but it`s alright. The members here are so nice, they feed us everyday, we have what is called a comida(meal) where we get to talk with the members and teach them a little bit. My mission president is awesome! The first night we arrived, he took all the new missionaries to McDonalds here in mexico. It was a little different, they actually had jalapeno peppers at the mcDonalds, i tried one and..... that`s one thing that I need to learn, the food is a bit spicy, but I love it. Another thing is the culture, i`m still trying to learn, but i`m getting there.

This week, there is going to be a huge celebration on the 15th of this month, it,s basically like their 4th of july, you can look up information abou tit, i don`t totally understand it, but what I do understand is that there have been fireworks every night! They are so loud, they sound like gun shots, but their just big boomy majigs or something. But yeah, I am starting to love this area, I know that me and my companion will be able to have a lot of success here. Time has also flown by, I`ve already been here a week! it`s also different using pesos, but a lot of stufff is really cheap. like food and bottles of soda and juice, one dollar is basically equal to 10 pesos. It`s different, but I`m starting to adjust.

I`m still working on spanish, but at church, all of the members were so nice to me, even though I couoldn´t understand everything that they said. The food that I have eaten so far, has been delicious, they use tortillas a ton, they are basically like bread for them. But yes, I have been working hard to learn and grow. I can remember feeling a little scared at the beginning of this week of the great responsibility that being a missionary is, I was also scared of the culture, because there have been some pretty scary things that I have seen, but i have prayed for comfort, to know that I can overcome all of my doubts and be happy and have a good mission, and my testimony has been strengthened so much, I know that heavenly father wants me here in Mexico and althought there might be challenges, I`ll overcome them to the best of my ability.

I know that you guys probably have a lot of questions, so please send some questions in your next email, and I`ll answer them to the best of my ability. Still though, I honestly am so grateful to be here in the mission field, I have an awesome companion, he only has 6 months left in his mission, but we will do good things together, I know this. I would like to share my testimony with you in español with you guys

Yo sé que la iglesia de JesuCristo de los santos de los ultimos días es verdad. Yo sé que atraves la expiación de Jesucristo, que podamos recibir perdon por todos de nuestros pecados. Yo sé que tenemos un profeta viviente aquí en este mundo, presidente Thomas s. monson. Yo sé que el libro de mormon es la palabra de Dios, y tambien yo sé que el evangelio de Jesucristo puede cambiar las vidas de todos las personas quien escuchan he visto milagros aqui en Mexico, la iglesia es fuerte aquí, esté yo sé. Yo digo estas cosas en el nombre de JesuCristo Amen

One other thing that is kind of cool, but an interesting story, there was this one guy, who we walked by and he started talking to us in english, so we talked with him. It turns out that he is actually a very less active member, he lived in new york for 14 years, did some bad stuff went to jail, but in jail he read the bible, then found the missionaries and was baptized. But now he told us that he is back to his old ways, this is something that we are going to work on. We are goign to visit with him this week to try and get him back to church.
Also, there are tons of dogs here, there are dogs in the street, dogs everywhere. There was this one huge dog, who started to lunge after me, but he was tied to a chain, my heart started racing, but hey, welcome to the life of a missionary. The people here are so humble, they don`t have all of the luxeries that we have, today, I learned how to wash my clothes by hand, it´s different but kind of fun. I guess you could say I`m living the life of a pioneer in a way, but yeah, it is definately different. When I arrived, one fo the first things <i said was, i`m not in kansas(utah) anymore. Everybody stares at me funny when I speak, but hey I´m trying and I will learn with time, I´m still a rookie, but soon I´ll get to be a senior companion. I´ll try to keep you updated as best as I can. Oh yeah ,they have a walmart here, and the prices are pretty low,

I´m so excited to work with the investigators who have baptisimal dates though, when they said yes that they wanted to be baptized on a specific date, that was one of the coolest things that I have ever felt, it makes all the people who have rejected me worth it, I´m trying my best, and working hard. Our mission has a goal to get 900 investigators to come to general conference in the capillas(chapels) so that is a goal that we are working on as a companionship. We need to get 15 investigators to conference to do our part of this goal, I´ve literally learned so much in just one week. <missionary work is honestly one of the biggest miracles in all the world, I´ve seen miracles here and felt the spirit, please pray for me to learn the language, and also to become a good missionary. Also, I don´t know how often I´ll be able to write letters with stamps and stuff, but I´ll try to figure that out, when <i receive letters, so if you send me a hand written letter, I´ll reply. Thanks for everything that you do, I love you guys and am thankful for everything

Love, your son and brother

Elder Limb

No comments:

Post a Comment