Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Hello everyone, life is still going pretty good at the MTC for me, things can get discouraging sometimes with the language, but I have learned to just keep a positive attitude and move forward. I love being in the MTC, I can't believe it's only been three weeks, I have already learned so much and I love it. Spanish is starting to come along pretty good, on SAturday, me and my companion taught our first "real lesson" to some members who came over to volunteer at the mtc. It was basically a family home evening type of thing, or noche de hogar as they would say in spanish. It actually went really good, I was able to share my favorite scripture(Alma 37:6-7) and talk about how it has helped me find comfort and help throughout troubling times, it was so cool, the person who we taught was a returned missionary, she went to the Chile Concepcion mission and just got back 3 weeks ago when we taught. It was so awesome though, because she said that she was able to feel the spirit while me and my companion were sharing our testimonies with her, even though my spanish wasn't perfect, she could still feel the spirit. Feeling the spirit is the most important part of a lesson, if the listener/investigator can feel the spirit in your message, the language wont matter as much, although it is still definately really important to learn the language, but as long as I try my best, I know that the Lord will help me to learn the language so I can help to share the restored gospel with all the people of Mexico City. Here at the MTC during gym time, my district loves to go and play soccer, I mean futbol haha, anyways, I have found a new found love for this sport, it is quite fun and even though it canget competetive at times, it is still a good break from the stress that comes from learning a new language. The devotionals are always awesome, this week the devotional was about the song come come ye saints and pioneers, it was really cool how the speaker related us to pioneers, saying that each of us are pioneers to the people who we will teach, we have to have the courage that the pioneers had to just keep going, all the lyrics of that song when applied to missionary work fit just perfectly, it was so awesome! The temple reopened this week, so I was able to go, that was such an awesome experience! I think that I apppreciate the temple even more now that I am out in the mission field trying to bring others back to Christ and help them find that goal of going to the temple. I've also learned a pretty important lesson about food.... I need to stop eating so much, I'm not used to having a buffet every meal, so I've been working to try and get used to not having so much food, plus I've probably put on a couple of pounds haha, I need to eat healthier so that I will be able to perform missionary work to the best of my abilities. There is still so much to learn, but I have continued to learn to the best of my ability, I have also gotten completely used to being with my companion 24/7 it now seems weird to me to even think about being alone, I still have 6 more weeks here in the mtc, I feel ready for the field except for with spanish.... I have learned so much more about the gospel and about how to study and learn from teh scriptures more. One cool thing I learned this week was in Alma 47:18 or something like that, it was the scripture about if every man were like Moroni, the powers of hell would be shaken and would not have power over the hearts of man, that scripture was an answer to my prayers in a way, it helped me to realize that I need to become more like captain Moroni so that I can help others to come unto Christ in the most effective way I can. I know that there is a lot of stuff going on in the world right now like the Olympics and stuff, but I'm not going to lie, I don't miss it at all, I thought that I would miss it like crazy, but now I just want to go and serve the people of mexico and our Savior Jesus Christ, I still miss family and friends, but I know that I have to put all of my efforts into loving and serving the people, this has helped me a lot. The scriptures have definitely become one of my new best friends. I have found so many words of guidance and counsel this week, it has been awesome! I wish that I knew spanish now so that I could go out to the field. One other thing that I have been and still am trying to learn is how to be patient with myself and others,sometimes it's difficult when other missionaries in my district want to do something a different way than how I want to do it, but I have learned to listen and that everything doesn't have to be my way, that's one cool thing that has helped me. There is more than one way to teach a lesson and more than one way to do an activity or learn a new concept. It also builds a spirit of unity and togetherness when you learn how to talk about problems and resolve conflicts and do things in different ways( as long as you are doing the right thing). Missionary work is busy though, I wish that I had more personal study time, there is so much to learn about the gospel. I love getting letters, especially from www.dearelder.com it's always nice to get a pick me up of some kind from letters. Another thing that has been awesome has been seeing all my friends who I knew from high school and college and stuff here. I've seen Elder Taylor Brockbank and Elder Mossman, and many others. Seeing all my friends all working for the same cause to: "Invite others to come unto Christ by receiving the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and his atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the holy ghost,and enduring to the end" It just makes me appreciate all my friends that I have had even more. I also greatly love and appreciate my family for supporting me during the time of my mission and for all the prayers and support on my behalf. To answer one of your questions, we actually don't teach people from the Provo mission, we teach our teachers who act like "pretend investigators" it still feels so real and you can feel the spirit while you teach. They basically roleplay someone from they knew on their mission and act how they would act. The only real lesson we taught to members was for noche de hogar, we do that once a week. Other than that, we teach our teachers, which is kind of hard, but it really is the only way to practice, plus they can give feedback and advice on how to become better at teaching right after. I hope that all is well at home and that you guys are excited to go on trek, trek is so fun! Have a blast and enjoy every second. I miss you guys and pray for you every day, please don't forget to write every once in a while and keep the missionaries in your prayers, there is so much work that needs to be done and every little prayer helps to bring about this great and eternal cause. I know that I've repeated myself quite a bit, but there isn't much more I can tell you about the MTC,once I get into the mission field, my emails will get more interesting and entertaining, I promise, but still it is really important to tell you about the spirit that is here in the MTC, I now understand how missionaries area ble to learn languages so fast, it is a miracle from Heavenly Father, the challenge is still there, but you can really feel the help so much more. My time is almost gone, thanks so much for all the love and support and I hope to hear from you guys soon.


Love, Elder Limb


p.s. thanks for all the letters I have received, I appreciate them so much. Adios amigos

No comments:

Post a Comment